Iâ€™m trying to study for my Philosophy course and I need some help to understand this question.
Chapter IV: Reasons for Belief and Doubt. Review Study Guide.
Explain/define the following:
1) When is it reasonable to accept a claim?
2) When is it reasonable to reject a claim? Why?
3) Explain the fallacy of appeal to authority (or unqualified authority). List the two conditions for being considered an expert in a given field.
4) What does personal experience arise from, and how reliable is it in our judgment of the truth of claims?
5) List and explain at least two reasons to doubt the reliability of personal experience.
6) List and explain at least two reasons for fooling ourselves on the basis of evidence
7) List and explain at least two reasons for the unreliability of claims in the news media. How can we defend ourselves against this?
8) How do advertisers try to persuade? Explain the term â€œvaguenessâ€ with regards to misleading comparisons.